Planning for Your Best Year Yet
One of the lessons I’ve learned in life is that when it comes to our money we need to be in the driver’s seat. The world of finance is always changing and can often leave many of us wondering what is the best thing to be doing with my money now and will I be ok in the future?
Typically when I talk to people about this, women especially, there is a level of fear surrounding the answers.
Fear is one of those things that is overcome with knowledge. When you have knowledge then you can plan for the future!
I love this quote from Alan Lakein, “Planning is bringing the future into the present so that you can do something about it now.”
Here are 3 steps to planning that have served my clients and myself well:
- Clarity – where are you going, by when and why?
- I encourage everyone to create at least 3 goals in each of the following areas that they would like to accomplish in the next 12 months: Business, Money, Relationships and Personal
- Life is to be lived in all areas so it’s important to have goals that are relevant and current in each
2. Bite Size Pieces
- For each of those goals write a date by when you would like it accomplished
- Create a list of all the steps that will need to be taken to accomplish the goal
- Place a date beside each step
- Now break them down into quarters of the year
- Now break it down to months of the quarter
- Now break it down to weeks of the month ** Now you can see if any one week is too busy and you are in the driver’s seat to make an adjustment
- For every step write next to it who will do the step and a budget amount required if necessary, also record a numerical outcome if appropriate **This way we are also tracking numbers which can then be used for income goals and expenses to manage
- Review & Tweak
- On as regular a basis as possible review what actually happened with what you planned
- Ask 3 powerful questions: What worked, What didn’t and What is next? This is where you are at choice, where you become empowered, where you make decisions with confidence!
Have fun with this! If you have questions, comment below and I will be happy to help!